|LATEST DEVELOPMENTS AT SITARA|
RAGHAV S. NANDYAL
Institute of Technology. (Chicago, USA)
B.E.E.E., R.V.College of Engineering. (Bangalore, India)
CMMI Institute Certified SCAMPI High Maturity Lead Appraiser for Development and Services
CMMI Institute Certified SCAMPI Lead Appraiser for People CMM
CMMI Institute Certified Instructor for Introduction to CMMI-DEV
CMMI Institute Certified Instructor for Introduction to CMMI-SVC and Services Supplement
CMMI Institute Certified Instructor for Introduction to the People CMM
Certified Lean Six Sigma Black Belt (Exemplar Global, Inc.) Certificate Number - B201510046
Certified SCRUM Master (Scrum Alliance) Certificant ID: 000492972
PERSONAL COMPETENCY DEVELOPMENT SHARPEN THE SAW!
Chairman & Chief
(November 2000 to Present)
SITARA Technologies Pvt. Ltd.
#54, Sri Hari Krupa 6th Main Road, Malleswaram Bangalore, KA 560 003 INDIA
Road, Southlake TX 76092 USA
Roles & Responsibilities
Create a world-class strategic management consulting organization that specializes in innovating and using advanced technologies and state-of-the-art software engineering development practices
Collaborate and partner with world-class professional enterprises such as the Software Engineering Institute, Carnegie Mellon University to ensure technology transfer in designated core competencies of SITARA Technologies
Establish thought-leadership in the designated core competencies of SITARA Technologies by publishing at least 1 technical paper or book per year, both nationally and internationally
Benefits from SITARAs Management Consulting (2000 2015)
RoI from Process & Competency Improvement Programs
: 5:1 to as high as 15:1
Employee Satisfaction (PCMM Program)
: Average upward score from 2 to 4/5 over 3-years
: Average of 85% consistent over 3-years
: Average upward trend from 3 to 4/5 over 3-years
Customer Retention Rate
: 85-100% for Pavilion Mode; 70% for POC pilots
New Business/Customer Growth Rate
: 8-14% per year for $1Million Pavilion investments
: Average of 12% per year; 2-4% y-o-y growth
Reduction of Cost of Poor Quality
: 6%-12% per year with 1% project cost invested in automation of regression testing
Reduction of Cost of Quality
: 8%-15% per year with 4% project cost invested in sampling-based reviews, and commitment to reuse
Chief Process and
(16 May 2000 -
499, Thornall Street Edison New Jersey 08837 USA
Roles & Responsibilities
As a C-Level executive, responsible along with the corporate leadership team to grow revenues from US$140 Million to US$190 Million in 1-year
Successfully created a dedicated development center of excellence in Phoenix, Arizona for American Express; spun-off as Seranova, Inc in 2001 with valuation of US$150 Million
Led the Software CMM Level 5 assessment for Advanced Development Center in October 2000 with no more than 14 defects per million lines of delivered source code quality goal
General Manager, Corporate Research & Development (03 August 1998 15 May 2000) Intelligroup, Inc.
Roles & Responsibilities
Primary architect behind the creation of a Level 3 Software Process in 9 months
Primary architect behind the creation of a Level 2 People Process in 5 months
Develop knowledge management infrastructure for the retention, building and effective utilization of intellectual capital from project execution (10% annual commitment to reuse)
Create, innovate and hone best-in-class solutions for improving delivery capability with appropriate corporate and operational processes
(01 April 98 30
LG Software Development Centre (India)
2nd Floor, Embassy Diamante, 34, Vittal Mallya Road, Bangalore-560 001 INDIA
1. Management of 10 member staff working on projects using MCIS for an ISP project
2. Management of 15 member staff working on projects involving Electronic Commerce
3. Provide tactical support to Corporate Management with Process Improvement Programs, SEI Collaborations with SEMA Group and Center for Information Systems Engineering at Carnegie Mellon University
Senior Manager, Corporate Office (15 April 97 -28 February 98)
Roles & Responsibilities
Work with the corporate office team to provide policy and strategic direction to business units for LG-IC, LG-EDS, LG-E and LG-Internet and ensure 20% profitability
Provide recommendations to the corporate team for a company-wide plan and strategy for deploying Software Engineering Practices, Corporate Quality Improvement Programs, CASE Tools, Networking of Computers and Information Systems
Design and maintenance of major company-wide databases, Decision Support Systems, Information Systems, and Skills-Enhancement
Development of LG's Information Technology professionals in the areas of Software Engineering by orchestrating quarterly internal seminars
Develop and implement Quality road map using Management Charts. Lead the internal quality audits for official certification of internal processes and also serve the emerging quality needs of LG
1. Advisor and Prime Consultant to LG-EDS Systems (US$500 Million) on implementing process improvement initiatives and software engineering programs.
2. Member of the Vision Team of LGSI and mentor LGSI's corporate SEPG.
3. Assessment Team member on the First and a formal CBA-IPI assessment at LG-EDS Systems, Inc. Seoul (Level 2 in 11 months) [November 1997]
April 1996 14 April 1997)
Head-Project Planning & Support Services
Roles & Responsibilities
Interact with LG Affiliate Companies in Seoul, South Korea to identify outsourcing opportunities for LGSI within a $4 Million seed capital budget over a 2-year period
Institute management procedures, infrastructure planning and software engineering practices for creating a center of excellence at Bangalore as a C-Level team member of the vision team
Identify and short-list 3 subcontractors for the LG Partner Program
Provide high end consulting on Software Project Management, Software Testing Techniques, Software Development Processes, Methodologies and evaluate technology transfer and tool induction programs for LG Group in general and LG Software Development Centre in particular
1. Delivered an SNMP Agent and MIB for a set top box for LG-Electronics while defining and architecting the LG Partner Program within $50,000 on-budget and 4-month on-time schedule.
2. Successfully delivered a short-term $50,000 consulting contract providing high-end consultancy on software production processes and maturity assessment using the Capability Maturity Model, Version 1.1 for LG-EDS Systems. (September 96 through December 96). Prime consultant and Lead Assessor.
3. Got a repeat order worth $150,000 from LG-EDS Systems. (Jan-Dec 97)
January 1995 31 March 1996)
NYNEX Science & Technology Asia Pvt. Ltd.
Telecom Tower, 22nd
Floor 18 Ratchadaphisek Road Huai Khwang, Bangkok 10310, Thailand
Roles & Responsibilities:
Provide managerial and technical support to software projects by instituting appropriate controls and monitoring measures
1. Instituted project management and system's engineering controls for Intelligent Field Access System : IFAS Phase I by undertaking code-walk-through, testing and system integration activities.
2. Authored the "Synergy Approach :Zero Defect Software Production Process".
3. Providing technical and managerial support to NYNEX Science & Technology Asia Pvt. Ltd. in the creation of a software excellence center in India.
(15 Jan. 1992
Motorola India Electronics Pvt. Ltd. "The Presidency", No.1 St. Marks Road, Bangalore.
Roles & Responsibilities:
Develop systems software using structured methods approach to software engineering.
1. An emulator prototype for the CDS16Z1A micro-controller using Extensible Virtual Tool-kit (XVT), graphical user interface development tool.
2. Incorporated the DC Remote Control feature for the existing Tone Remote Control feature of the Enterprise project of Motorola.
3. An X Window based profile plotter for the Path Profile project of the Motorola Cellular Planner.
4. User Interface development for the cellular telephone of the Personal Digital Cellular (Japan Digital Cellular) project running on the Radio Operating System (ROS).
5. Participated in Motorola's and the worlds first Software CMM level 5 assessment as Code and Unit Test FAR member.
(Sept. 1991 Dec.
Computer Aided Design Laboratory. Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore.
1. Assist in the "Advanced VLSI CAD for NELSIS" consultancy project.
(Jan. 1991 Aug.
Dept. of Electrical & Computer Engineering. Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago
1. Conduct research, funded by AT&T Bell Laboratories, in the area of Digital Systems Testing and Testable Design.
Research Student, High Voltage Laboratory (Aug. 1989 - December 1989)
Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore.
1. Microprocessor based waveform analysis of periodic, non-sinusoidal analog waveforms.
1. R.S. Nandyal, "An Approach to Rework Projects", Software Engineering Symposium, Motorola, Phoenix, Arizona. 1993
1. R.S. Nandyal, "Function Analysis Tool: FAT", Software Engineering Symposium, Motorola, Phoenix, Arizona. 1993
2. R.S. Nandyal, "Automatic Code Generator: CGen", First Asia Pacific Motorola Software Symposium, Singapore. 1994
3. R.S. Nandyal, "Living with changing requirements", First Asia Pacific Motorola Software Symposium, Singapore. 1994
4. R.S. Nandyal, "Automated Function Analysis Tool: Auto FAT", Software Engineering Symposium, Motorola, Chicago, Illinois. 1994
5. R.S. Nandyal, "Cycle Time Reduction: A Survey of Solutions", Software Engineering Symposium, Motorola, Chicago, Illinois. 1994
6. R.S. Nandyal, "Automation of the product Life Cycle" - A Solution to Cycle Time Reduction, Software Engineering Symposium, Motorola, Chicago, Illinois. 1994
7. R. S. Nandyal, "Making the Use of Structured Methods More Effective", Computer Society of India, CSI 96, Bangalore, India. 1996
8. R. S. Nandyal, "Risks Involved for a High Maturity Organization to work with a Low Maturity Organization", Software Engineering Process Group Conference, Bangalore, India. 1999
9. R.S. Nandyal, "A Personal Software Process For Testing", First International Software Testing Conference 99, Bangalore, India. 1999
10. R.S. Nandyal, "Connecting Process Improvement Goals to Business Objectives", SEPG 2000, Bangalore, India. 2000
11. R. S. Nandyal, "Package Selection & Integration Process for Web Applications", SEPG 2000, Bangalore, India. 2000
12. R. S. Nandyal, "A Practitioner's View of the CBA-IPI", SEPG 2001, New Delhi, India. 2001
13. R.S. Nandyal, S.R. Nandyal, "Do you really have a software development strategy?", ESEPG 2002, Amsterdam, Netherlands 2002
14. R. S. Nandyal, "Shoehorning CMMI initiatives with People CMM", 18th SEPG Conference 2006, Nashville, TN, USA. 2006
15. R. S. Nandyal, "Making Sense of Process Improvement Programs and Appraisals", 18th SEPG Conference 2006, Nashville, TN, USA. 2006
16. R. S. Nandyal, "Building World-Class Enterprises with CMMI and People CMM", MIMOS R&D Symposium 2006, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Dec. 14 2006 [Keynote Address]
17. R. S. Nandyal, "Making Qualitative Judgments of the Process - Establishing its Importance with Appraisal Case Studies", 19th SEPG Conference, Austin, USA. March 2007 [Invited Paper]
18. R. S. Nandyal, "High Maturity Behavior: Looking Beyond SCAMPI Class A for Clues", 19th SEPG Conference, Austin, USA. March 2007
19. R. S. Nandyal, "Competencies for a Software Quality Assurance Professional", 20th SEPG Conference 2008, Tampa, USA. March 2008
20. R. S. Nandyal, "Sustaining High Process Maturity - Inspirations from the People CMM", 21st SEPG Conference 2009, San Jose, USA. March 2009
21. R. S. Nandyal, R. Ramasamy, "Building a Mature Software Industry: Multidisciplinary Strategy with CMMI Constellations, PCMM and Six Sigma", ICT Strategic Review 2011/12, Transcending into High Value, PIKOM The National ICT Association of Malaysia, ISSN 2180-2548. 25th Year of PIKOM. 2011 [Invited Paper]
22. R. S. Nandyal, "Examples of Application of Quantitative and Statistical Methods in Software Engineering", 24th SEPG Conference 2012, San Jose, USA. March 2012
23. R. S. Nandyal, et al., "How to Accelerate High-Maturity Implementation of CMMI using Six Sigma", 24th SEPG Conference 2012, San Jose, USA. March 2012
24. R. S. Nandyal., "Sustaining High Maturity Process Implementation With Five People CMM Process Areas", 25th SEPG Conference 2013, Pittsburgh, USA. October 2013
25. R. S. Nandyal., "Top 10 Software Metrics/Measures for every Software Organization", CMMI Institute Global Congress Seattle 2015, Seattle, USA. May 2015
26. R. S. Nandyal., "Key Features of a Good Process Capability Baseline Report", CMMI Institute Global Congress Seattle 2015, Seattle, USA. May 2015
27. R. S. Nandyal., "Process Models and Performance Improvement: What Next?", First All India SPIN Conference, Hyderabad, India. December 2015 [Keynote Address]
PROFESSIONAL AND TECHNICAL BOOKS
1. R.S. Nandyal, "People CMM: Interpreting People CMM for Software Organizations", Tata Mc-Graw Hill 2003
2. R.S. Nandyal, "CMMI: A framework for building world-class Software and Systems Organizations/Enterprises", Tata Mc-Graw Hill 2004
3. R.S. Nandyal, "Making Sense of Software Quality Assurance - Gaining from Quality Audits and Assessments", Tata Mc-Graw Hill 2007
4. R.S. Nandyal, "CMMI: A Framework of Constellations for Building World-class IT organizations", 2nd Edition. Tata Mc-Graw Hill 2011
5. R.S. Nandyal, "Building and Sustaining High Maturity Software Organizations", Tata Mc-Graw Hill 2012
TUTORIALS AT CONFERENCES
1. R. S. Nandyal, "Applying the Fifth Discipline as a Leverage Tool for People & Software CMM", SEPG 2000, Bangalore, India. 2000 [Day long Tutorial]
CONTRIBUTIONS TO ACADEMIC RESEARCH
Engineering Tool (SET) Using Software CMM framework", August 1997 -
External Guide to Somu Patil for project execution at LGSI leading to the award of Master of Engineering in Software Engineering degree from Mysore University.
SOFTWARE TOOLS AND INNOVATIONS
R.S. Nandyal, "Function Analysis Tool : FAT", Motorola Tools Fair,
Software Engineering Symposium, Motorola, Phoenix, Arizona. 1993. FAT is a
software engineering tool introducing a "black box" approach to unit testing.
Awarded the Third Best Tool Award in Motorola Tools Fair, Software Engineering Symposium-1993.
2. R.S. Nandyal, "Automatic Code Generator: CGen", First Asia Pacific Motorola Software Symposium, Singapore. 1994. CGen is a code generating software engineering tool capable of generating code in C language directly from a module specification in structured English.
R.S. Nandyal, "Integrated Software Engineering Tool: ISET", Motorola Tools Fair,
Software Engineering Symposium, Motorola, Chicago, Illinois. 1994. ISET
integrates six tools in the four areas of software production process automation
namely, Development, Productivity, Testing and Quality into one environment
under MS Windows.
Awarded the Third Best Tool Award in Motorola Tools Fair, Software Engineering Symposium-1994.
Hobbies include gardening, interest in wild life and forestry preservation. Amateur swimmer and connoisseur of Indian Classical Music and Western New Age Classics, keyboards, percussion instruments and the harmonica.
For ease of navigation, use the selection box below ...